So, here I am almost one month short of my two year bandiversary and down about 10 pounds. I never thought I'd be standing in the same shoes both pre and post bariatric surgery. I feel like a failure and a disappointment. I didn't go through bariatric surgery to be in the same spot... I decided to have bariatric surgery to overcome the one obstacle that was in the way of me living the rest of my life.. I was fully committed to it and determined to beat obesity. Many people (my own family) doubted my commitment to my LapBand and thought I was taking the easy way out. They told me that they saw me giving up on dieting and exercising and getting the band to do the work for me. Hearing that made me want to prove them all wrong! Sure enough, I lost 47lbs within the first three months! I was feeling great... I felt like I was getting control of my life again! The one thing I never felt was full or satisfied... it was a constant guessing game of "did I eat enough" or "is this what full feels like"? As I began getting more fills my struggle to eat became worse and I started choosing all of the wrong foods because, well, that's all that would go down!! Chicken? Stuck. Eggs? Stuck. Broccoli? Stuck. Ice cream? Smooth sailing! I began dreading eating normal meals because of all of the vomiting. I got a few unfills but found no relief. As time went on, the scale slowly crept up. After a visit to the doctor and a 35lb weight gain in May 2014, he told me that my body was rejecting my lapband and causing my stomach to hold air, in turn, pushing my lapband over and up my esophagus, therefore, not allowing food to sit where it should. He suggested a complete unfill of my lapband and told me to get back on track before he agreed to me converting to the sleeve. The lapband was unfilled and I wasn't getting stuck anymore. I still struggled with my weight and making healthy choices. I knew deep down that the lapband was not the right choice for me anymore. Fast forward to December when I met with my NP and once again vented to her about my hate of the lapband and blah blah blah.. she totally understood what I was going through- in fact she told me that almost all of her patients that have the lapband have dealt with what I'm dealing with and have either converted to the sleeve (and now love it) or have removed the band and that's it. She strongly suggested I convert to the sleeve and said she was going to speak with my surgeon about my case to recommend me for conversion. Fast forward to January 6th- my "conversion" appointment. I met with the nutritionist who, again, said she sees my case quite often and said she was praying for me to get the sleeve! I told her I felt like I was a student waiting to meet with the principal! I walked over to the room to wait for my surgeon.. it was like longest 5-10 minutes ever.. Sure enough he walks in. My nerves were uncontrollable at the point and I could have burst into tears just because of my anticipation! Last time I saw him I felt a lot of blame for my weight gain and I didn't know what to expect. He sat down right in front of me and asked how I was.. well, verbal diarrhea is an understatement. I just endlessly told him about my struggles. He told me that I'm at a very trivial point in my journey.. he said that at 2 years people either lose weight and are happy or they continue to struggle and typically won't lose anymore weight. He said that given all of my struggles I am a candidate to conversion!!! MUSIC TO MY EARS!!!
Unfortunately I have to repeat the process of pre-op requirements. I will find out more on January 29th, but it sounds like I will have to get a psych evaluation, nutritional consultation, and possibly an endoscopy, and meet with the pulmnologist. I hope I don't have to do all of that but I will find out on the 29th. If anyone has Aetna and has had conversion surgery, let me know what was required! Fingers crossed this all goes though and I am able to get the sleeve. I am so sick and tired of getting stuck and being in pain. The battle between being hungry and getting stuck is horrible..

I just did all of that! Good luck!
ReplyDeleteGood luck! I hope your revision approval goes more like Erica's and less like mine!
ReplyDeleteHi Erica,
ReplyDeleteThis is a very late reply to this post, but I would like to thank you for sharing this. I am currently in this exact same position. During the first 8 months with my band I lost 65 lbs. I was working out and eating right. Then I stopped losing and my bad started tightening. so began what felt like the endless cycle of fills and unfills. I decided to switch doctors. We are discussing a revision. I just started with my revision discussion today. Hopefully all goes well.
Good luck to you! I have been following you for some time now but just recently got back on BlogSpot. Thank you again for sharing!