Thursday, February 7, 2013

The Day I Became a "Bandster"

 



Getting Read to Head to the Hospital
Well, it finally happened! I am officially a member of the "Bandster" community! I can NOT believe it! I have to keep repeating it to myself... I have the LapBand... I have the LapBand! It's so surreal!Let me tell you that I almost thought it wasn't going to happen.  Not that I would expect anything different because I have some wild luck, but I wound up getting congested a few days before my scheduled surgery day.  Typically, if you're congested or have any type of phlegmy cough, they will not perform surgery of any kind that includes anesthesia or a breathing tube. 

Waiting in the Admissions Room
Yesterday, surgery day, was a long day, but a good day! My mom, sister, and I got to the hospital around 7:30/7:40am.  I checked in, had to get a pregnancy test, then I went straight into the same-day hospital room.  I checked in there and was put into a personal waiting room where I had to change into 2 gowns (one with the opening to the back and one to the front) and some really jazzy yellow socks (sarcasm).  There it was starting to set it in that it was the big day! The nurse, named Carol came in (an older woman who was very sweet and warming and made everything much nicer).  I had to sign some paper work and what not.  She took my vitals.  Surprisingly my blood pressure was 119/62! She joked about how I was so not nervous for this surgery! I said no way! I'm too excited! She was happy about that! My mom was more nervous than I was! lol  So, my mom was snapping pictures like it was prom, it was funny but I'm happy she was!  My dad showed up a little while after, which made me feel good! And then a while after that my Uncle showed up too! I had quite a large group! lol.  I knew my boyfriend was in class and wasn't getting out until 11:15 or so, but deep down I was hoping that his professor would let him out early! lol  So, Carol had to give me my blood thinner in my stomach which I was scared about, but I didn't even know she did it! Then she weighed me.  I weighed in at 309.8 but my official weigh in at home was 310.2 so that's what I'm going with.  She asked me if I was dieting beforehand and I said no because it was my last hurrah so I've been eating everything! We started talking about our favorite foods and what I've been eating.. my answer was pizza, pizza, pizza! lol  She thought that was a good choice! I told her about my cold even though I really didn't want to.  She checked my lungs and said they were clear so I was somewhat relieved.  I knew I'd still have to tell the anesthesiologist though.  She came in a little while later.  She didn't have much of a personality.. very dry.  Anyway, she came in and had my sign paper work.  I told her about my cold also.  She asked me about it.. if I had phlegm and what color.  She said typically they don't like to do procedures while lungs have fluid, but she was letting this one slide.  YAY!! Thank god!  So after she left, a little while later a nurse came in and told me it was time!

In the PreOp Room
It was happening... I was going in! The vibe in the room completely changed.. I felt all of the nerves and I started getting nervous too.  What if something did happen during surgery and it was the last time I saw everyone?  I never had surgery before, so it was all very strange.  So, I kissed everyone and my mom was allowed to come with me to the prep room before I was rolled into the Operating Room (OR).  I waved to my Dad, Sister, and Uncle until I couldn't see them anymore.. it's a family thing we do. 
\
Me and Dr. Rivera
So, I walked into the prep room and I felt like I was in the "Behind the Scenes".  It was so weird.  I went right into a bed and then I started getting slightly nervous. This room was anything but welcoming.  It was a bunch of beds lined up and separated by a bunch of curtains. It looks like a warehouse... cold and unpleasant.  I warned the anesthesiologist about my bad veins but she seemed confident that she would find one.  Within minutes the Nurse Practitioner (NP) Mindy came over and said hello. I knew right away who she was even though she was dressed in scrubs and had a hair net on.  My mom, who was too nervous to even remember her own name, turned to her and said hello and after a few seconds it clicked on who it was! She just grabbed Mindy and hugged her and just started crying.  It made her feel good to have a familiar face :)  It made it better for me too. A few seconds later, Dr. Rivera walked over and talked to me a little. My mom snapped a picture of me and him also.  It was cute.  He made me feel good and he waited with me until I got the OK to go to the OR.
Me and My Mom
When they were ready (after 2 pricks from the needle) my mom and I looked at each other with a bit of fear. I was actually scared... I was going to be alone going into this room.. I had no clue what to expect or what was going to happen.  But despite everything, I was excited!  My mom and I hugged, kissed, kept yelling I Love You and waved to the very last second. I felt terrible watching her as I was rolled away.  I knew the fear I felt but I could only imagine what she was feeling.  Poor thing.
So, I was getting rolled into the OR by a nurse and my anesthesiologist. When I was rolled in, I don't know if Dr. River and Mindy were already in there or if they followed us, but they were there with a few other nurses I believe.  I don't even know.  Anyway, another extremely scary and cold room.  Nothing but medical stuff everywhere and these huge spot light things which totally gave me the creeps! They rolled my bed right over to the operating table and asked me to hop on over to that.  Of course my butt was hanging out and I was embarrassed, but what are you gonna do? lol  Mindy asked me if I felt like I was in the middle of the table and I said yes.  Then I remember looking up at the company that made the spot lights.. something with an M. I don't remember anymore.  I also remember looking around and I saw Dr. Rivera to right down by my feet but more towards the door with his hands folded just watching everyone get ready for him.  I had a weird vibe come over me at the moment... almost as if he was playing the role of god or something.  He was in charge and all of these nurses were prepping everything for him so he could perform this surgery. It was strange but I had such confidence in him.  The nurses put on leg compression things.. they had to get the bigger ones.. Anyway, The anesthesiologist came over and started putting in the anesthesia. I only knew that because it burned my hand when it went in.  She then told me it was going to burn and that it is normal. I said Ok. She put another injection in and I just remember looking at the ceiling lights and blinking twice.. I was woken up and I remember being asked to grip the handle bars.
I'm Officially Banded!
I wasn't able to because I was still coming out of the anesthesia.  They had to lift me up to the rolling bed to bring me to the recovery room.  Before I left the OR I was finally able to get some words out.. barely, and I asked, Mindy I believe... "am I banded?"  I heard a giggle and she said "you're banded!"  I just said, "okay, good".  I had no energy to do anything.. it was quite weird.  I just remember trying to cough because I felt the phlegm and it was so hard.  I heard the nurses ask what I was doing and eventually I let out a cough and they said she's just coughing. 

I was so groggy but I remember getting wheeled into the Recovery Room (RR) which was very blue.  Blue curtains, blue scrubs.. it was quite relaxing but I guess that's the point.  Anyway, I was wheeled over to my spot which was right in front of the nurses station. I don't remember much of that because it was hard to see.. everything was blurry.  I remember them putting the compression pads on my legs and they felt amazing.  I saw Dr. River and Mindy a the nurses station.. a few minutes later Mindy came over to me.  I don't remember what she said, but I remember apologizing saying I wasn't able to see her. She just said, "it's ok, It's Mindy.  Take a little nap" I just said okay and I think I fell asleep.
Me and My Sister
The nurse in the RR, Susan, was so sweet.  She didn't wake me up if I was sleeping, but if I was up she explained everything I was doing and kept asking how I was feeling.  She made my recovery very easy.  She asked me what my pain was and I just said I didn't know.. maybe a 4 or 5.  I didn't know what I was feeling.  She gave me a few doses of pain medicine.  I kept looking for a clock.. I finally found one and saw it said 11:15.. I thought to myself "oh Brian is getting out now"  Next think I knew it was 11:40 and I heard my mom's voice coming from down the hall.  I flipped my head to the other side and saw her smiling face! What an amazing feeling! I was so excited! She came over and kissed me and seemed relieved that I was ok! She snapped a picture of me.  She said I looked very tired. I asked her if Brian was there and she said yes.. I just started crying.  Something about knowing he was there just completed me.
Always By My Side
She thought it was sweet that I got emotional when I knew he was there.  I don't remember too much after that.  I remember looking around at everyone's monitors and mine and comparing numbers, etc.  Later on my Dad suprised me and came in! That was awesome!! He had to leave to get his car fixed and then was going to come back after. I was happy to see him too!  He said Brian was outside waiting to come in too.. I was so excited! More time went by and Susan told me I had to wait to go for my X-Ray.. that took a little while. My mom came back in and waited with me.  She was about to switch with my sister but the wheel chair arrived and took me for my X-Ray. 

Me and Brian
It was hard to stand up with the X-Ray, but I managed.  They had to take three pictures.  I had to drink some distgusting stuff which tasted like Windex, Pine Sol, and every other cleaning solution.  OMG, I wanted to vomit.  After I was done, I sat in the hallway in my wheelchair waiting for the transportation person. I felt like a lifetime. I actually started dozing off as the guy came over.  He brought me to the Same Day Surgery area and gave me room number 5.  Once I was settled in there, a nurse came over and asked how I was doing and said she was going to get my family.  I heard her yell into the waiting room for the family of Jennifer so I knew they were right there! I heard them talking and my room was directly in line with the hallway.  I was already getting choked up and then I saw my sister turn the corner and it felt great... then I saw Brian and I just locked eyes with him and was hysterical!  I couldn't wait to hug him! He ran over to me and sat right next to me and we held hands the entire time. I sat in the chair as my room filled up with everyone.  We all talked for a while and a nurse had me get up and go to the bathroom. That was somewhat hard but manageable.
Me and My Dad
I walked out fine.. my family was shocked at how I was walking! lol  Afterwards, she had me drink a little water which felt AMAZING!! Let's talk about the cotton mouth.. OMG! I felt like I was sucking on Krazy Glue all day! haha  Anyway, after that I got dressed with the help of my mom and sister and was on my way.  That was around 3.  

I got home and Brian came over.  Me, my sister, and Brian hung out in my bed for a while just talking and stuff.  After my sister left, Brian stayed with me.  It felt so good having him with me.  I can't explain it.  It was different from my family... I always knew my family was going to be there and I never doubted that Brian wouldn't be there, but it was just extra special.  :)  I don't know if it's the pain medicine I'm taking or what, but I have been so sappy and emotional!  Pretty funny!
Going Home

Anyway, here I am, 1 day post-op and feeling somewhat ok.  Last night (my first night) was rough. I couldn't get comfortable and the gas pain was terrible.  I was up at 4 for the night.  I fell back to sleep around 7:30 or so and woke up around 9:15.  I'm not too hungry.. I'm more focused on the pain and drinking.  It does feel good to have some broth though.. I feel like I'm eating with that.  Today, I was in my room and started blogging and my door slowly creeped open.. I had no idea what was going on. I thought it was my dog but I knew he was downstairs and wasn't able to come up on his own.  Well, the door opened even more and there they were.. my two adorable 3 1/2 year old nieces with balloons and flowers! I BURST out hysterically crying!! I didn't hear them at all, I had no clue! My sister and mom were watching from outside my door and got choked up too! What an emotional moment! I just apologized to the girls for crying.. I told them it was happy tears. :)  It was a nice day! They stayed for a while and it made me so happy! Later on, Brian came over! He left a little while ago.  We watched TV and talked.  I kept crying with him.  I just looked into his eyes and I burst out crying.  He thought it was for a bad reason and I had to keep reassuring him it was just because he was there with me.  I told him that we say "I Love You" everyday, but him being with me during this is what love is.. that is love in action.  It is something I've never felt before and I've fallen even more in love with him since my surgery. <3 p="">
Home Sweet Home as a Bandster

Overall, so far so good. I'm trying to push through these terrible gas pains.  They're getting better and I think I'm learning to deal with them better too.  I'm exhausted! Time for bed!!

 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing your "special day" with us. I am getting banded on 3/4 and have also been documenting every little step, just hoping someone like me will read it and get some inspiration or advice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. I found your blog through LBT. This post was great for me to read to help me know what to expect when I get banded March 20th. I'll be following you! Keep on feeling better!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...